Friday, October 10, 2008

yesterday

There are some days which are oh so incredibly busy, but rather than that being a source of stress, they can be a source of joy. Yesterday was one of those days. Having completely forgotten to set my alarm, I awoke feeling like I'd had a good night's sleep, rather than with that sicky feeling which comes when the alarm goes of that little bit too early and your body is not yet ready to start the day. Then I realised I only had 30 minutes before needing to hop on to my trusty bike, whizz up the hill and do the school run for a friend. Well, I managed it, and enjoyed pushing myself on the cycle ride. I am relishing the fact that this (pushing myself) comes ever so slightly easier at this time of year when Autumn is rolling in with some beautiful sunny mornings, but crisp air which means I don't get as hot and makes my lungs feel like they are taking onboard gallons more oxygen than usual. I am relishing it because I know it will not be long before I'm cycling up those hills with gritted teeth against the lashing wind and rain rather than with a smile on my face and the wind in my hair.

Back to my enjoyably busy day...Having done the school run and met some lovely mum's, I popped into the hairdressers & had a little too much hair cut off before going to a coffee shop where I planned to make use of wi-fi, and finish filling in a job application. Turns out you have to pay for wi-fi. So instead, I drank my coffee while reading 'The Heavenly Man' by Brother Yun. Incredible man, incredible book, incredibly challenging. Then I deliberated as to whether or not I really did need to go home to pick up some more suitable trousers for my physio appointment, which was just down the road from where I sat drinking coffee. I made the decision to go home, even though it meant adding another 3 or so miles on to my cycling quota for the day. Although it was good in that it meant I got another job application completed, printed and enveloped up, it also meant that I turned up to my physio appointment not looking as cool, calm and collected as I would perhaps have liked, as I had been under a rather tight time frame. (Who am I kidding? I am not entirely sure whether I will ever turn up anywhere in this manner.)

45 minutes worth of back cracking later, I strolled in the sunshine to the bank, and the inevitable happened. That is, the inevitable thing which occurs when I go out into bright sunlight. I start sneezing. Yes, brothers and mother, I know you are still disbelieving cynics on this one, but I can assure you that the sun really does make me sneeze. To add proof, there was an old man sitting outside a pub soaking up the sunshine, who just so happened to be privy to my sneezing fit. I looked over to him, and he smiled knowingly, and said, 'it's the sun.' Thankyou. I did indeed stop to thank this wise man, and to tell him that I have brothers who refuse to believe that the sun makes me sneeze. He had great sympathy. I reckon he's come up against his fair share of unbelievers in his time.

I was planning to write about more of my day, but I am just too tired. Goodnight.

No comments: