Thursday, September 30, 2010

sausage & spice & all things nice



Last week I bought some apples from the greengrocers. They were red, shiny & a type I had not tried before. Sadly, they were the kind that are just so sour that your face cannot help but grimace when you take a bite. They were floury too. Do you know what I mean by 'floury'? It's kind of a funny word to describe apples but sometimes it fits.

Not wanting to waste the rest of the beautiful floury apples, I decided to cook with them. This afforded the perfect opportunity to make sausage & apple casserole. Oh yum. This is seriously good my friends. However, I must warn you, if you are offended by the use of lots of butter in cooking, look away now. I only ever use this much butter when I bake, so as we don't eat this particularly regularly, I am able to overlook the buttery content because it is just so tasty. 

Seriously, try this:

Sausage & Apple Casserole serves 4 


600 ml dry white wine
500g sausages
2 shallots or 1 large onion
4 dessert apples
140g butter 
400ml chicken or veg stock
4 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

1) Bring wine to the boil in a large frying pan & poach sausages for 10 minutes
2) Peel & slice the apples
3) Slice the onions
4) Melt a knob of butter in a second frying pan. Remove the sausages from the wine, 
   reserving the wine.
5) Fry sausages in second pan until browned.
6) Meanwhile, in the pan with the wine, add the onion, apples, stock, sugar, cinammon 
   & butter.
7) Bring to the boil then simmer until the apples are tender and liquid is a thin syrup.
8) Add the sausages to the apple mixture and stir to combine.
9) Serve with creamy mashed potato and a good helping of whatever vegetables take 
    your fancy, preferably in-season produce.

1 comment:

snailsnail said...

Great recipe, and timely - I was looking for something to cook last night and so used this... everybody gave it two thumbs up :-D