Monday, March 24, 2008

Amazing.

Yesterday I was reading a few chapters from a book about the great revivals that have happened in this country. I found myself exclaiming out loud as I read of the incredible ways God has moved in Bristol, this wonderful city I live in, in previous centuries. It just compounds on what I have read about the life and works of George Muller, and the 10,000 children he cared for in this city.

In 1739, George Wesley followed in the footsteps and leading of his friend George Whitefield and starting preaching the gospel in the open air in Kingswood, Bristol. At first, he attracted some 200 listeners. Within one month that number had increased to 20,000 people. Hearing this kind of thing gets me so excited about the incredible way God saves people, and how this increases when He brings revival. When God's people start praying and seeking God to move, to change His nation, to save lives, He does exactly that. I know that this is the heart of my church in Bristol - to see this city changed. To see God break into desperate situations and bring salvation. So it excites me all the more when I hear of other people across this nation praying for the same thing in their cities. Yesterday afternoon, I was getting a lift home from church, and the song playing in the car was called 'God of this city.' The words sing of a prayer which echoes with all that we are praying for as a church...

You’re the God of this city
You’re the King of these people
You’re the Lord of this nation
You Are

Greater things have yet to come
Great things are still to be done
In this city
Greater things are still to come
And greater things are still to be done here

You’re the Lord of Creation
The Creator of all things
You’re the King above all Kings
You Are

You’re the strength in our weakness
You’re the love to the broken
You’re the joy in the sadness
You Are

Greater things have yet to come
Great things are still to be done
In this city
Where glory shines from hearts alive
With praise for you and love for you
In this city

Some may think the Church is dying, but I can assure you, that is far from the truth. Maybe right now we're not seeing 20,000 people in one part of a city flooding to hear the life giving truth of the gospel, but every day God is changing lives, reedeming the lost, bringing a people unto Himself, and He will not stop doing this. Sure, the Church is pretty broken in places, but the Church is God's bride who he is never going to stop loving and building and making glorious, and it is honestly a true joy for me to be a part of this.

No comments: