Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Hagel

For the members of my family, the title of this post should bring back fond memories of our times spent in the Netherlands all of those years ago, where we discovered the delicious topping to toast of Hagelslag. Yum. I have distinct memories of Mum having to ration them once the supplies we brought home with us were running low. Why am I writing about these memories? Because they were brought back afresh last night when I received two big boxes of Hagelslag. Yes, dear family, I have Hagel!!! There is a Dutch couple in my church small group, and at some point in the not so distant past we had a conversation about Hagel. Being the wonderfully kind people they are, when some of their friends came over to England last week, they asked them to bring some Hagel with them. They obliged and bought ten boxes of the delicious chocolatey strands!! I am now the proud owner of two of these boxes. Thankyou Marteen and Miranda.

I am keen to write a more extensive post, filling you in on my latest adventures, but I need to set aside a good chunk of time to do that, which I can't justify doing during my working day. Maybe this evening.

At the moment I am thoroughly enjoying the song 'hometown glory' by Adele, which stirs an emotional reaction in me akin to the one Dad described when talking about Shoreline by Deas Veil.

4 comments:

snailsnail said...

mmmmmm... Hagel - funny though as I was just talking about it the other day with a Dutch friend.

David Barnes said...

I remember it well! Nice photo, too.

SB said...

ahah is that the couple i met?
and the conversation that we had?
ahah
brilliant.
someone left a bulletin about it on myspace as well!
i was like YES
she is dutch or part dutch or something though

SB said...

isnt it hagelslag?