Saturday, March 28, 2009

a memory

As I was browsing the Martha stewart website, I happened upon a photo which brought back a memory which I had no idea was still in the recesses of my mind…funny that as I saw the photo, I was listening to ‘the call’ by Regina Spektor where she sings, ‘let your memories grow stronger and stronger til they’re before your eyes…’

The photo was of a large oak tree with a custom made bench that had been built around the circumference of the tree.

In that instant I was taken back to an afternoon 5 years ago when I was on a tour of the Great Ocean Road in Melbourne, Australia. We had stopped for a break & I remember shafts of much-welcomed sunlight coming gently through the branches of the tree that we sat under. There was a wooden slatted table which one of the guys who was on the same tour as me was lying on. Just a young guy whose outer appearance & style was one of a man who cares passionately about the earth. He was the one member of the tour party who did some form of meditation when we reached the summit of a hill overlooking the south coast of Australia. That was my memory. Not one of any lasting significance, other than that it was one of a million pieces that made up a fantastic trip to the other side of the world.


The twelve Apostles


Great Ocean Road from the air


The twelve Apostles...well, a few of them

No comments: