Sunday, May 01, 2011

the benevolence of trees

Recently, I read a woman describe trees as benevolent. I wish I could remember exactly where I read this. Even though it was probably in the last week, my memory has already become hazy. She described the way trees grow together. The way they work with their fellow trees to create canopies. If one is lacking, its neighbour will help him out so together they provide more than the sum of their parts.

As John and I drove along the Thornden Wood Road to Canterbury this weekend, winding along the narrow woodland roads, the benevolence of trees came to mind.



These trees were curving and arching together in perfect unity, creating a shady canopy with their lush green leaves. In their growing together, they were doing each other good, doing what was needed to meet and greet one another in the middle of the road.

There is something truly magnificent about trees, and their ability to create a natural archway, offering a covering to you as you drive beneath their shady canopy.


These trees & their colours mesmerised me; I loved the contrast between the bright sunshine breaking through the gaps in the leaves, and the shadows created by the overlapping leaves, and most of all, their benevolence.

No comments: