When I heard the news that a friend of mine was expecting a baby girl, I decided that I would attempt to make something a little more adventurous than a taggy blanket, which was becoming my go-to baby present for any new baby arrival that I knew of.
I decided to attempt a dress. This was my biggest sewing challenge to date, and has become my biggest sewing accomplishment. If someone had sat me down and showed me how to sew a dress, or anything else that requires more than just sewing in straight lines, I would have probably attempted this a long time ago. When it comes to following patterns, I struggle a little. I had to read, and re-read each instruction goodness knows how many times before getting clear in my head what I needed to do at each stage of the process.
I know that it is not perfect, but I don't think it's really possible to make something completely perfect, and I am ok with that. I decided to cut out a couple of mini bird shapes from some scraps of matching fabric and attached them to a baby grow for a little extra something.